Monday, January 23, 2012

Anticipation Vs. Reality

I had a meeting today at 3PM.

All last week I was dreading this meeting. In my head, I knew exactly what was going to happen.

Yep. It was all planned out. There was going to be an argument followed by accusations and threats. I even imagined myself storming out.

Ordinarily, I would have no problem expressing my opinions. This was different. This meeting was with someone I consider a mentor and a friend, not just a business partner.

So, I get to the predetermined location at the predetermined time. Ready for a knock down drag out argument that wouldn't have done anyone any good.

Much to my surprise, I was the only one expecting an argument!

After speaking for a while, we both came to a mutual agreement. I won't lie and say that I got my way because I didn't. That said, the working relationship wasn't damaged beyond repair.

You see, even though 2 people in an organization don't agree, as long as we are both shooting for the same goal, what is best for the group as a whole, we can come to an understanding.

I was anticipating a war, what I got was a lesson in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment